Monday, July 6, 2015

Julie's LASEK STORY

                
                      Julie's LASEK STORY



My LASEK experience actually started off as a favor to a friend.  I was 35 years old and had worn glasses since I was 12, so almost a third of my life.  I had thought about getting LASIK or LASEK a few times but because I had poor eye sight and because of my age I figured I wouldn’t be a candidate so I just forgot about it.  Then came the day my friend asked me to go with her to Gangnam for an eye appointment.  Not only did I agree, I asked her to make an appointment for me too.  Korea is a greatplace to get the surgery done as it is fairly cheap but still has a high quality of service.

Now that I had decided to at least do an initial consultation, deciding what clinic to go to was another question.  Together my friend and I looked online at various blogs, websites, and ads.  They all offered the same services and prices and there were so many to choose from we were getting overwhelmed.  We made appointments at a few different clinics around the Gangnam Station area as we were travelling from Suwon so wanted something not too hard to get to.  We went to these clinics over a couple weekends and in the end I chose Joeunnun Vision Clinic.  This clinic was actually the least well-known to us based on our Internet research but they won me over.  Their service is excellent, as well as their prices but what really sealed the deal was their equipment.  They had the most up-to-date equipment on the market, which was safer and more effective.  While the other clinics also had great services and prices, their equipment was one generation behind that of Joeunnn Vision Clinic and since they were going to be messing with my eyes…I wanted the best.

When we arrived at the clinic, the staff were friendly and professional.  They had one of their English speaking staff members help me fill out the forms and then off we went for an hour-long barrage of tests.  At the end of all the tests, came the personal consultation with a clinic representative who went through the options.  It turns out that I was able to do either LASIK or LASEK because I had thick corneas and although my vision was REALLY bad with high myopia, I had low astigmatism.  They suggested LASEK as my safest option and the best bet for 20/20 vision.  I agreed with their assessment as LASEK doesn’t produce a permanent corneal flap (unlike LASIK) which could potentially be displaced in the future, it is less likely to exacerbate eye dryness, and uses less of the cornea.  This last one was a deciding factor for me because I knew there was a risk of regression and wanted enough cornea remaining in case I needed to have another surgery in the future.  The downside of LASEK is that there is pain for the first few days after the surgery and it takes time for your vision to improve to the desired result.
You are able to have your consultation and surgery all in the same day as long as you have made an appointment beforehand but since I had decided on LASEK, I knew I would need more than a weekend to heal so I made my appointment for the winter break when I would have a week to lay in bed and relax. 

It is now 6 months after my surgery.  I have just had my final monthly checkup and was told to come back in 3 months for a regular checkup.  I have better than 20/20 vision and am enjoying being glasses free.  It actually took me a few months after the surgery before I felt comfortable throwing away my old glasses, contacts and prescription sunglasses but when I finally did, it was liberating.  No more steamy glasses in winter or when going inside to an air-conditioned room after sweating on a hot humid summer day.  No more sweaty nose-pieces and sore ears.  No more having to carry two pairs of glasses…one for inside and one for out.  It was 100% worth it and if I could go back in time, I would not only choose to do it again but I would choose to do it sooner.  I would also still choose Joeunnun Vision Clinic to do the surgery as they gave me the best imaginable service and results I could only dream for.
Thank you to everyone at Joeunnun Vision Clinic.

If you have questions about all-laser LASEK procedure and its cost, please contact us by visiting our webs...ite: http://www.visionclinic.co.kr/eng






No comments:

Post a Comment